Sara the Whale - Song #14

Thanks to Kendra's comments to a previous post, I have added two songs to my list: Sara the Whale and My Aunt Greet. To be honest, when she brought these songs to mind I realized I was never a big fan of either, so maybe my subconscious was (not) telling me something. But Sara is a fun, silly song. A little digging finds a few variations, including it as part of a Horse Named Bill, which appears in Carl Sandburg's landmark book, American Songs.

And it turns out Burl Ives ("Frosty the Snowman") does a version of it called Whale Song. Two other Ajawah songs appear on this particular album: Mr. Rabbit (see an earlier post) and The Goat (aka Bill Grogan's Goat).

Here is the link to it on iTunes:

Burl Ives - Burl Ives Sings Little White Duck (And Other Children's Favorites)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I think it's great that you have taken the time to find all these songs I so fondly remember! Ajawah will always be such a huge part of who I am.

Carol (Packer..the littlest sis of Rick, Mike,Bryan & Dan)

Joe said...

Hi Carol, thanks for the post. Of course I remember you - and the rest of the Packer clan. Keep on singing...