More Mr. Moon

1 - At Girls' Camp we also sang the same tune with altered lyrics: Mr. Sun (not at campfire, of course, but during the day).

Oh Mister Sun, Sun, great big shining sun
won't you please shine down on me
Oh Mister Sun, Sun, great big shining sun
won't you come from behind that tree

There stands (insert name of current Beach Director) with a whistle in hand
Ready for to blow it if you warm the sand
So Sun, Sun, great big shining sun
won't you please shine down on, talk about your shining
won't you please shine down on me

2 - Bob Coltman at mudcat.org did some fine detective work and found the original version - here is the first part:

MISTER MOON: KINDLY COME OUT AND SHINE
Smith & Bowman
Boston: Walter Jacobs, 1903.

VERSE 1. Ole Parson Jones was coming home this morn twixt one and two,
When lots of boys that hangs around has nothing else to do
But interfere with people ev'ry evening when it's dark.
Last night they saw the parson coming. One made this remark:
Says, “Yonder comes the parson. Now, let's try to make him run.
He thinks he's brave. We’ll test his nerve. I'll fiah off this gun.”
And when the parson heard the shot, 'twas then he got right scared
And started running up the road and this the way he prayed:

CHORUS 1: Oh, Mister Moon, Moon, silvery moon, kindly come out and shine.
Do Mister Moon, Moon, come out soon. My home I wants to find.
I'm brave, 'tis true, was never known to run,
But the boys behind me with a Gatling gun.
Oh, Mister Moon, Moon, silvery moon, kindly come out and shine.

Read his full post at http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=44759#659308

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am not sure if this is right, but I always sang "ready for to blow it if you warm the sand."

Joe said...

Jen - thanks for the help - I am sure you are right and will (have) changed the lyric.